May 28, 2012

Pop of Red

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!  We actually did some painting, but found enough time to enjoy ourselves.

While I have painting on the brain,  I thought I would come up with some ideas for painting our spare room.  So far, I know I want a British vibe, but I have to do it without it screaming red, white, and blue union jack,if you know what I mean ;-) 

Here is where my inspiration came from:

A huge piece of Ikea wall art
IKEA London Double-Decker Bus Photo (Facebook) $40
I found it on Craigslist and purchased it for $25 smackers!

What I love so much about it is that it is very understated with a pop or red!  With that idea in mind, I would like to bring in a gray, black, silver, and white color scheme with a few punches of red here and there.  This room will have a completely different feel than my main living space, but I'm just fine with that.  I Don't think every room has to have the exact same feel.

I have a few pieces of furniture that need some updating, so I was going to probably paint the furniture white except for one dresser that I am contemplating turning the front of it into the union jack.  I would like to get two mirrored side tables that look like these:



To make the room very personal, I would like to take a pic. of my Bulldog, add the clipart crown to him, print it on transfer paper, and make a pillow for the bed!  I think that would be a lot of fun :)


This picture below caught my eye.
This would be so much fun to do on the closet door.  I know it gives a younger vibe to the room, but I love it.  It would be a great laugh for my family when they stay!


And maybe a picture or two of these guys...

Pinned Image

I would like to go with gray for the wall color.

Maybe Antique Tin by Behr like this gorgeous room below for the main wall!

Pinned Image

If I don't go with the mirrored side tables, I would go with white ones like the ones above from Ikea.  I like the oval silver mirrors above the units.  Maybe red lamps on either side of the bed. 

After thinking about how I wanted to incorporate the red, I decided to go snooping around to get a little inspiration.

AND THIS IS THE INSPIRATION I FOUND...


To me, when you keep the paint neutral on the walls and cabinets, it gives you wiggle room to paint something that is usually a neutral color, a more bold and fun color, such as this red door!
Pinned Image


I love natural materials like the table, end chairs, and light fixture added to more modern items like the red round mirror and red dining chairs added to it!  Awesome feel!
Pinned Image



 Here again is a little old mixed with new when you pair the reclaimed wood console table and red lamp.
Pinned Image



Below is a very neutral room that is completely relaxing!  All whites with exposed beams on the ceiling.  To me the red stools add such a fun touch of whimsy!  For our home, I seem to be following this design idea for the first floor of neutrals with pops of color.
Hall/Kitchen/Stairs traditional hall



This room has gorgeous darkwood floors and white builtins, trimwork, and dining chairs. Playing off the darks and lights, just a touch of color adds so much more to this room.  Adding deep red captain chairs to the dining table grounds the room.  The modern red painting is just one more touch that lets your eye flow from one part of the room to the other.
Dining Room traditional dining room



Another great way to bring in a punch of color is just a few fine touches of red in a painting amongst the darker colors and a throw pillow.  This would be a great bachelor room!
Showhouse contemporary family room

 
How stinkin' cute is the french bulldog painting above the bed!  Can you believe how you can take a neutral room with grays and whites and give it such depth by bringing in red chairs, a red painting, and a few red accessories on the desk.  A great room for a teen!
Adams contemporary bedroom

I hope you found inspiration from some of these beautifully designed rooms.  Thanks for stopping by :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the pop of red! It's so fabulous paired with grey and white and black. Now I want to repaint the whole house.

    ReplyDelete