To get the project finished in time for the big reveal, my dad came over and built the headboard! Dustin did overtime at the Fire Station until around 4 pm that day and the reveal needed to happen that night since our schedules where full for the next several days. My dad definitely saved the day!
Above is a picture of the headboard upside down and assembled to make sure everything fits together.
Here is the link to create your very own headboard: Sarah M. Dorsey Designs.
Above is a shot of the back before we took off the sides so that I could cover it.
I went with this glue spray that I purchased at Walmart. I sprayed the entire front of the board below and covered it with two rolls of Project foam.
I recommend getting the foam rolls at Walmart. They were the cheapest I found. I was nervous at first of adding two pieces of foam since I thought you might see the line in the center once the fabric once I covered it. I think since I made sure that both pieces were pushed tight together and stuck down with the glue spray that they were fine. I even added a little glue spray where the foam met up in the middle, just in case. You can see below how I laid them on the board after spraying the glue. I cut the foam with a sharp knife to cut to exact size.
I somehow missed taking a photo of laying the batting down on the ground and laying the foam board face down on the batting. You can see that step in the link above. Once I positioned it, I just got my nail gun and nailed all the way around. I finished with trimming the batting as you can see on the top and left side.
I covered the headboard in a gray fabric the same way that I put the batting on. Above is our buddy Dozer working with me on our last project together before he passed. :( We miss him every day and miss his curiosity in finding a way to be part of every project. After he checked it out and made sure everything looked good, I was able to put the side panels on.
We covered the panels just like the headboard and followed the directions to assemble it back together.
Here is another look at the BEFORE...
Above you can see the previous headboard with scalloped edges. I love the look of the clean lines headboard below. With the shape of the new head board taking up more wall space on either side, it feels like it is so much taller, but it is only about a 6 inch difference.
Finishing off the headboard with some of the outdoor lighting softened everything up!
To ground the whole room we went with a Shiplap Accent Wall.
THE SHIPLAP ACCENT WALL
A shot of the wall before Dustin began the process.
Dustin got to work measuring and mapping out the accent wall to keep everything level as he went along.
Below is the look before the Shiplap wall.
You can see how much of an impact the accent wall with the Shiplap makes compared to the before photo. By adding three more baskets to the unit, it gives it a cleaner and more grounded look to the space.
I really think it makes a difference by changing out the headboard and adding woodwork to an accent wall.
What do you think of the changes, I'd love to hear your feedback below!
Thanks for stopping by!