March 12, 2012

Family Room Reveal

So today is the day that I get to show you the "Family Room" Makeover.  I have been working on this room for a few weeks now. 

Keep in mind, I need to finish the curtains, and I still haven't had a chance to paint my wall art for above the doggy bed, but that will get done soon enough, I hope ;-)   

Well, I won't keep you waiting. 

Here is the BEFORE...



Everything was sprayed beige, even the ceilings, when we moved in.  We opted to not have windows on either side of the fire place so that we could have a large built in from wall to wall.  The window frames were knocked out to allow for really nice finished off framed out windows!


Here is the AFTER...


 





 I love this shot because it shows the rooms true color, but I hadn't finished the curtains and blinds off in this shot.



 Here is the room completed.  We added the blinds, which I ordered on overstock.  You can find them here
Then we put up the curtains and curtain rods, but not in that order ;-)  We bought both the curtains and rods from Target. 
I am going to add some chartreuse colored  horizontal stripes to the curtains when I can actually find some fabric that matches the pillows.  It has been much more difficult finding fabric than I expected, but I will keep looking.






 



I still haven't gotten a chance to make my art piece for the wall area above the dog bed, but hopefully I can get it done in the next few days and give you a tutorial on it later this week.



 Ok, so from this picture, you might think, ahh the lights in the cabinet add a nice touch. 

So did I until we put them up and after a little while,
the hubs said "Why did you turn off the lights?" 
My reply, "I didn't."
His reply, "Ha Ha Ha, so that's what they meant by 30 minute lights!" 

Yep, 30 MINUTE LIGHTS!  So if I want a little ambiance, I have to get up every 30 minutes and turn these "suckers" on with none other than my long trusty level, since I am not tall enough to reach.  The only bonus is the exercise I get from getting up and down ;-).  So much for trying to go cheaper and get some battery operated touch lights.
In my future plans, I hope to have some nice recessed lighting in the ceiling that will shine down on each side of the bookcases!






  



  





 





 Ok, this maybe my favorite find for the room, it's hard for me to decide.  It was $12.99 at HomeGoods.  Now I would like to say that I got it because as soon as I saw the #24 on it, I thought "Oh wow, my house growing up was #24,"  but not so.  More like I just loved the color and look of it and my mum was the one who pointed out the significance of the number and said, "I bet that's why you got it."  Sure Mum, sure!





 I really like this lamp for a few reasons, one, it's silver.  I think silver, or gold for that matter, is the secret to finishing off any room.  If you look at almost all of Candice Olson's rooms on HGTV, she adds silver through out her rooms to add a bit of glamour and sparkle and finish things off nicely! 

Another reason I really like this lamp is because of the swirl design on the base.  Kind of  a "rolling waves" effect.  If you go simple with other areas of your design, i.e. couches, woodwork, and pattern, then you need  some layers of interest in the room and I think this lamp does the trick! 




The "glass bubble ball," (again this is a very important technical term) was purchased at Ross for $6.99.  I love a good bargain!
I think it is a fun touch. Bubbly water and coral, anyone for scuba diving?



 I was able to pick up a bag of "finger star fish" at Marshalls for around $12.00.  So I have been using them throughout my house.  I have them in my morning room glass jars and I used them to make Starfish Art.  The candle and candle holder were both purchased at Target.


 I also purchased this big beautiful shell at HomeGoods!  I could live in that place, HomeGoods, not the shell!





 Remember Nora. The lovely whale I purchased when I started decorating this room.  Well, she was very lonely until I found her "true love" Pip. Nora came already named, but Pip was all alone on the shelf at Homegoods with no name, so we adopted him, named him, and brought him home. (P.S. Don't tell Pip, but when I was in S. Carolina at a different HomeGoods, I found Justin, a hammer head shark.  Pip might get jealous of Justin and I wouldn't want a love triangle, so Justin is going in another room.  Crisis diverted!!

 
 Strong and handsome Pip.


The minute I saw the driftwood balls spheres (it just sounds better) at Crate and Barrel, I knew they were coming home with me.  I got one small and one medium sized sphere.  What shelf wouldn't look good with a little bull dog bling?  He is the guard dog around here, since our real bulldog is too much of a "softy" to harm anyone!



Here is the momma  driftwood sphere.  What do the owls have to do with the ocean, you may wonder, well I have no clue ;-)   I have had these guys for awhile and can't seem to part with them.  They may find a new home somewhere else in the house, but for now they will live at the ocean.




 I was so excited to find these storage baskets at Target.  I really like how the color and texture of them adds warmth to the room.




 See just when you were worried that these book shelves weren't gonna' house any books, I shocked ya!  I am working at becoming an elementary teacher, so I have to show how important it is to read, right?  Even those these books are mostly pictures, Shhh



  I found all of the Coral for the bookshelves at Marshall's Dept Store.  They currently have a really nice selection of beach themed items.




I bought the chartreuse green pillow at World Market and the gray blue flowery pillow from Target. 



 This is the fan we went with for the Family Room.  It is "humungo." I purchased it at Lowes.


 I like the way each blade is different.  I think it has a really cool driftwood look to it!




 My vintage ladder accents the wall as a "multi tasker."  He can hold blankets and cover large ugly wall vents, what more could you ask for!



Hello new projects that I love!  You can check here for the "how to" on my pallet doggy bed and here for the vintage ladder redo.




The ladder was purchased from a lovely shop called Everything Vintage, Co.  Both blankets were purchased at Marshall's.


I would love to hear back about any thoughts you have about the Family Room Makeover.  Have a fantastic week and don't forget to check back in to see the Morning Room Reveal and the first stages of our bathroom makeover!

I am linked up to Between Naps on The Porch's Monday Link Up Party and Thrifty Decor Chic  Come on over and have a look at all the before and afters!

48 comments:

  1. So so so perfect!!! I LOVE everything about this space!! Thank you so much for the great tour, and including all the sources! I've had my eye on those driftwood spheres since they came out...now I want them even more! I haven't been in Marshall's for awhile, but if they have so much great beachy stuff, I have to go soon!! Oh and the fan, that has to be the cutest one I've ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your makeover!!! I really like the colors and the vintage ladder:)!

      Delete
  2. It's SO perfect!!! Thank you for sharing it with me :)
    I love how you accessorized the shelves so much! The right amount, without being too much!
    You're truly talented girly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for emailing me! Your family room looks great! The many personal touches add to the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen! Saw your post at Between Naps on the Porch link party and had to stop by for a better look and say hello! Your family room is so lovely!! Love your furniture, paint colour and accessories; especially your vintage ladder. I have been looking for one of those for a while now and haven't come across one. I am so glad I found your blog - am your newest follower! We have a lot in common...I read that you were born in England and live in VA - I am Canadian and live about one hour from you, in Hampton Roads!! How cool is that! Please visit my blog and say hello! Would love to keep in touch! Have a great day!
    Heather @ settingforfour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you so much for all of these wonderful comments!! You really know how to make a girl feel special. I appreciate it sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS is what I think of when I think of coastal living. Just Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, love what you have done! May I ask where you got your sectional?

    ReplyDelete
  8. really pretty. Would you mind posting what the paint color is, I'm looking for something similar for my bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies! I purchased the sectional at JCPenney, but I must say it has been a lot of work to try and keep it clean. It is a dry clean only couch, but I throw it in the wash. It shrank up just a little bit, but nothing noticeable and the color of the room is Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I missed the info but did you build the bookcases or are they some kind of prefab? Beautiful room, so many inspirational pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the room! The bookcases are built ins.

      Delete
  11. I am your newest follower and I love love love your style!
    Hugs.
    bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely compliment and for following along :)

      Delete
  12. Helen-this room looks amazing-I'm actually drooling-so happy to find your blog and now I'm a follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, I am so excited that you like the Makeover, thanks for following!

      Delete
  13. Absolutely beautiful! I love the driftwood balls:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Latoya, I just checked out your site and it is so cute, your little girl is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your family room is beautiful and the coast theme is pefect! Your coffee table and behind the sofa table caught my eye. I am searching for a similiar coffee table. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emily, you are so sweet! Thanks for the awesome comment!! I just bought the coffee table at World Market for $200 something. I think it was around $270. They should have it on their website. I found the console table behind the couch at TJMaxx several months ago. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come back and visit again ;)

      Delete
  16. This room is gorgeous! I love how it turned out - so put together and yet so homey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, I was really hoping that is the feel people get when they come in :)

      Delete
  17. I love the simplicity of this room!
    I have seen a ton of variations of pallet DIY projects. Absolutely, hands-down the dog bed is my favorite.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!!! I just told my dog it was time to get in his kennel for the night and he jumped on the dog bed as if to say, no you're ok, I'll just stay here ;)

      Delete
  18. Love the room! Could you share the color of your paint and where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful room. I love the wall color and the built ins.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks ladies, the color of the room is Rainwashed by sherwin Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your room! The colors are wonderful...can you tell me the name of your wall color? Found you at Better/After...love your style!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julie, my wall color is Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a really nice comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! I want to make my own driftwood sphere now! Looks much more manageable that a large sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is incredible! Did you build the built ins? If so can you give a little info on that? My husband keeps talking about doing something just like yours! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm your newest follower too! Found you on Better After!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Found you from Jenny right up above ;) Facebook sharing and pinned. Adore the entire room. So sweet of you to break down where you got lots of your goodies too! Enjoy. It's a fabulous space!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sending a little blog love my way :) I think the driftwood balls would be easy to make. the ones I have are just put together with some finishing nails. I would love to share directions on the built ins, but unfortunately they were built by my brother in law and my realtors building co. this was a bit before I started my own DIY process. thanks again for the comments and for following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing style and so nice to see that it's all affordable. That is the exact ceiling fan I've been looking for too. Do you know what brand or style it is?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Family Room. THe fan is from Lowes. It is called: Harbor Breeze 70" Kingsbury Oil-Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan (ENERGY STAR).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Helen
    Your blog is very nice. I enjoyed looking at all the things you have changed in your house since we were last there a year ago. You and D have done a great job. We are renovating our house right now so I am getting some great ideas from your blog and others that I have been following. Keep up the great work.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Helen, your family room looks fantastic! The Rainwashed paint color is the perfect color for this room. Beautiful job! I'd love to add this to my paint color galleries. You wouldn't have to do a thing, just let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Helen, your family room looks amazing. The colors are so soft and relaxing. I just used the color Rainwashed in my bathroom and I love it....I couldn't help noticing the bright blue bird you have in the bookcase. Can you share where it's from?
    - Haydee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Haydee, I can't seem to get enough of the rainwashed color either ;) The bird was actually from a Ross store I found it several years ago. It was originally black and gold and I just sprayed it turquoise.

      Delete
  33. Your family room is just gorgeous! Could you give the dimensions of your room? I have a similar layout to my family room and struggle with furniture arrangements. I love way the sectional looks and the built ins are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks CJ ;-) It's fun to lounge about on the sectional with the family and watch tv.
      The room is 18 long x 15 wide.

      Delete
  34. Love this room!! Where is your rug from? And what type of fabric is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rug is made of jute and it is from World Market. I think I paid about $100 at the time when I bought it.

      Delete