July 29, 2013

Kids Nautical Bathroom Reveal

Ok Ok so the bathroom is not fully finished yet.  We still need a few finishing touches, but it is pretty much there and the finishing touches, well they may take just a smidge longer! I didn't get a chance to create the artwork last week, so I thought I would snap some pics of how far we have come with the makeover.

If you didn't get a chance to read the process of picking paint and demo of the bathroom, you can read those here and here.

I created a design board for the kids bathroom that had a fun and funky feel...



We did change the accent color to be an apple sort of green shade instead of orange and we went for a soft tin shade with the lighting instead of the bronze, but everything else followed the original design board.

Here is how it was BEFORE...

Before it had linoleum floors, a builder grade mirror. over head lighting, and honey cabinets.  The tile only went up to the top of the shower curtain.

And Here is the ALMOST AFTER of the Kids Bathroom...


Tile: Lowes
Towels: Target
Shower Curtains: Target
Over head Lighting: Lowes
Numbers and Hooks: Home Depot
Soap Dispenser and Toothbrush Holder with Tray: Target
Wall Paint: Sherwin Williams" Repose Gray in Satin Finish
Cabinet Paint: Sherwin Williams" Indigo Batik in Satin Finish
Trim Work and Ceiling Trim and Boarding: Benjamin Moore's Decorators White in Satin




The green towels definitely bring that much needed color addition to balance out all the navy and white. For the curtains, I wanted to do two floor length curtains, so I purchased three of the same Navy and White stripe shower curtains from Target and had them sewn together.



Above the wall numbers, I am going to place two pieces of artwork to bring in all of the colors that are in the bathroom along with an extra color or two.


I really like the tin colored goose neck lights that we chose for over each sink.  It gives a little nautical touch without being two much!


Originally we had painted the frame out that we put around the mirror the same BM Decorators White, but it didn't stand out and the frame around the mirror and the counter top where two completely different whites.  The counter was creamy white but actually looked yellowish against the frame.  Dustin's solution: Paint it blue like the base cabinet.  I got a package deal when I married that man.  I really love working on projects together to see what we come up with and or disagree on.  In the end, it always turns out.

 A closer shot of the lighting and framed mirror.  Also, you can see on the ceiling that we went with wide sheets of board that gives the look of putting planks up, but not the cost.  The ceiling was then trimmed out with 1 x 4's.


 Soap and toothbrush accessories from Target to bring in a little of the soft caramel color that goes with the trash can and will go with the artwork for the wall.




Dustin rolled the cabinet and sprayed the doors and drawers and he did such an AMAZING job with the finish!   For a kids bathroom, I think this is the perfect color.  For the life of me, I can't decide on a rug for the space.  I have gone through about 7 rugs and none of them are it :(  I will keep searching.  

A comparative BEFORE AND AFTER!!!


A BIG difference!!!

In this shot on the right, you can't really make out the tile work on the back wall, but we took the white tile all the way up to the ceiling so that it is the same height as the shower curtains. 

Thanks for stopping by and seeing the progress.  

Next up for home projects is the Mud Room Makeover that we will be in a race to finish up before the kids start back at school.




20 comments:

  1. it's like 300% better and I loved that you framed out that mirror I always hated those types of mirrors but when you frame them out they dont look so bad and kudos to you for the industrial looking light fixtures..that just makes the space I hope you find a rug that you like.

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marisa, you are so right on the simple touch of framing out a mirror and how different it can make a space look. I am watching like a hawk for the right rug. It's out there I know it ;-)

      Delete
  2. That looks fabulous! I just love your decorating style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, it's beautiful! You guys did such a great job on this remodel. I really love all the details like the ceiling and numbers. I was wondering if you guys did the tile yourself and how hard it was? Did you have to remove old tile and repair any wall before you retiled? I was thinking of tackling a similar project in my bath but am not sure if I'm qualified to do it or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jessica ;). The floor had linoleum. We took it down to the sub floor and built it back up with concrete board and then did our tiling from there. Dustin is great at tiling so I really just follow what he tells me ;). I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant the shower tiling. I don't think I can tackle a floor, lol.

      Delete
    2. For the shower tile just cut out the Drywall. Then put backer board up and put down the Mud, tile, and grout.

      Delete
  5. This redo is beautiful! I was just wondering, can you tell me exactly what type of tile you used on the floors! I'm doing a full-house reno and have been looking for something similar for my new mudroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! The tile is Mitte gray from Lowes. Here is a link for the color and price on my other post http://abritofhappiness.blogspot.com/2013/03/cabinet-paint-choices-and-tile-decisions.html?m=1

      Delete
    2. We just finished our mudroom in the same tile too ;). It's a good one!

      Delete
  6. I love your bathroom! I'm getting ready to install some drapery style shower curtains as well. What sort of liner are you using & how is it attached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I just used extra long liners that I ordered on Amazon and Attached them with the shower curtain on on rod. I actually had to cut down my liners so they weren't dragging inside the shower. You may want to try a regular liner and see if it goes far enough down inside the tub first. Since you can't see it behind the drape, it doesn't have to be the same length.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply to Wendy's question, I was wondering the same thing. Also, did you cut one liner in half or use two liners? This bathroom is just beautiful and such an inspiration for me in redoing my boys bathroom! Thank you so much!

      Delete
    3. That's lovely of you!! I did use two liners but I went with two extra long ones. I would recommend using two regular sized ones and see if they fit well in the tub before you have to purchase longer ones. Once I cut the longer ones down they were about reg. size ;)

      Delete
  7. I believe I commented on the wrong post before. I'm here from Better After, and I love your bathroom redo! I'm pinning a photo or two from your site. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy for taking the time to stop by and pin :)

      Delete
  8. What is the length of the shower curtains? I love the way the longer curtains make the space look taller. All of the regular shower curtains are 72".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were custom made to 8 foot by taking three regular curtain and using the third curtain as fabric to extend the other two.

      Delete